Dr. H. Ramesh
Director & HOD-Gastrointestinal Surgery
MS, MCh, FACS, FRCS
Dr. H. Ramesh has more than 30 years experience in Gastrointestinal Surgery and has been instrumental in establishing and developing the GI Surgery & Liver Transplantation department here at VPS Lakeshore Hospital. He has served in key positions of the GI Surgery and Digestive Diseases Centres at renowned hospitals in the state. Dr. H. Ramesh performed the first Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy in the state and pioneered the growth of basic and advanced Laparoscopic Surgery. His contributions was key in launching a liver transplant programme and accredited training in GI Surgery for the DNB diplomate here at VPS Lakeshore, which enabled many surgeons to visit the department for exposure to GI, laparoscopic, hepatobiliary and pancreatic surgery. Serving as the Director and Head of GI Surgery & Liver Transplantation department, Dr. H. Ramesh expanded the Digestive Diseases Centre with improved documentation, comprehensive technological support and multidsciplinary care to be the largest group of Gastroenterology in rhe country and raised the standard of healthcare provided so that patients even from the Middle East come here for surgical tratment of pancreatic, liver and bile duct problems.
- MBBS - Two gold medals in Obstetrics & Gynecology, Certificates of Merit in Internal Medicine and Forensic Medicine
- MS - Bronze Medal
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons, 1996.
- Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons of England ad eundem 2006.
- PK Sen Memorial Orator, Association of Surgeons of India, 2005 (Jaipur)
- Dr Raghavachari Orator, Association of Surgeons of India, Kerala Chapter, Cochin, May 2006.
- Professor AFA Masceranhas Memorial Orator, St John’s Medical College, Bangalore, May 2006
- Pfizer Orator, Indian Society of Gastroenterology, Annual Congress, Mumbai, November 2006.
- Pathak Memorial Oration of the Rajasthan Cancer Society, RAMAS 2007, Jaipur, January 2007.
- MASICON oration, ASI, Nagpur, April 2008
- Dr Kalyanasundaram Oration, ASI Madurai City chapter, June 2008.
- Dr Ramesh Nigam oration of the Association of Surgeons of India, Ludhiana, December 2008
- Received the Young Clinicians Award at the World Congress of Gastroenterology in Los Angeles, California, USA in October 1994 (certificate + sponsorship of attendance of the World Congress). Presented the paper ”Tropical pancreatitis - long term results of surgery” to the Educational Center Amphitheater, where papers were grouped according to the subject and the presentations critically appraised by a panel of experts in that field.
- Received the International Award for Young Surgeons at the 95th Annual Congress of the Japan Surgical Society in Nagoya in April 1995 (cash + certificate). The paper presented was “Risk factors for mortality following pancreaticoduodenectomy”.
Dr. H . Ramesh has to his credit over thirteen book chapters in medical volumes and close to hundred publications in journals.